A more secure safety net for workers in transition means higher taxes, a tradeoff many Americans oppose.
The coal company has declared bankruptcy and is backing away from a project that sparked environmental concerns.
Advocates hope the timber-rich state’s decision to ditch coal could help revive the struggling industry.
- Daniel Stolte on Why has the National Park Service gotten whiter?
- Larry Glickfeld on New documentary offers a sharp look at the West’s water crisis
- Barbara Cella on Meet the aspiring ranger locked out by National Park Service practices
- Randy Welch on Biking bill is a smokescreen for opening up wilderness
- Todd McWelch on Biking bill is a smokescreen for opening up wilderness