A more secure safety net for workers in transition means higher taxes, a tradeoff many Americans oppose.
The coal company has declared bankruptcy and is backing away from a project that sparked environmental concerns.
Advocates hope the timber-rich state’s decision to ditch coal could help revive the struggling industry.
- Greg Arnold on New allegations of sexual harassment in Yosemite, Yellowstone
- Sophia Bogner on Tribes win one fight, lose another in pipeline protest
- Carolyn Poissant on Top 10 reasons not to move to Bozeman
- G M Ferguson on An electric-power giant is poised to fail
- Candy Odiorne on Top 10 reasons not to move to Bozeman