Support Our Work
High Country News is a 46-year-old nonprofit news organization whose mission is to inform and inspire people — through in-depth journalism — to act on behalf of the West's diverse natural and human communities. The production of the magazine depends on subscription sales, grants and generous donations from our subscribers.
Thank you for considering a tax-deductible gift to High Country News. Your contribution supports our reporting.
- Don't want to donate online? Mail in this form (PDF)
- Join the Sustainers' Club monthly-giving program
- Give to the Intern & Fellowship Fund
- Learn more about the Tom Bell Legacy Circle (planned giving)
- Your subscription also supports our journalism. Subscribe yourself or give a gift subscription.
- Donation FAQs
- Annual reports
Tom Bell didn’t found High Country News on a shoestring. To Tom, back in 1970 or 1971 or 1972, a shoestring would have been luxury.
Tom had something better than start-up capital. He had a vision of the West that demolished such flimsy constructs as county and state and federal land boundaries. Tom’s High Country News wiped out those straight-line boundaries so that we could see a 1 million-square-mile landscape that is among the most extraordinary on earth.