Ray has been writing about the West since 1979. He started freelancing for High Country News in 1985, did a stint as an editor in Paonia from 1994-1995, and has been back on staff since 2001, covering the Northern Rockies from his home base in Bozeman. He has won numerous awards, including the Sidney Hillman Foundation Journalism Award for his 2007 High Country News cover story “Death in the Energy Fields.” His favorite Western places include the Grand Canyon, Butte, Montana, Wyoming and any Mexican café.
email: rayring at hcn.org
- Jim Scarborough on For climate activists, a bright spot in a dismal election
- Tim McKimmie on Dear Forest Service: Today’s John Muir shoots video
- Guy Durrant on Giving thanks and looking forward
- Sarah Gilman on Closure of federal sheep facility would be a victory for grizzlies
- Gretchen King on Sage grouse found walking through Wyoming underpass