Sarah has covered the West's natural resources, politics and people since 2006. Before moving to Portland, Oregon, to write features, shorts and blogs and continue editing cover stories and news, she spent six and a half years flogging writers and managing the intern program as High Country News' in-house associate editor. She grew up in Boulder, Colorado and has spent most of her adult life in small towns in the Rockies, studying white-crowned sparrows, reporting for newspapers and magazines and working on a trail crew. Her favorite tool — from her days building steps and retaining walls on the slopes of Mount Massive outside Leadville — is the double jack. These days, she's also especially partial to her 8-lb. maul.
email: sarah at hcn.org Follow @sarah_gilman
- Jim Bolen on As Trump takes power, the House targets regulations
- Greg Lind on How many Westerners does the Affordable Care Act cover?
- Bruce Farnsworth on California’s recent rains won’t fix its other, very big problem
- David W Hamilton on As Trump takes power, the House targets regulations
- Mark Rozman on As Trump takes power, the House targets regulations