Sarah has covered the West's natural resources, politics and people since 2006. Before moving to Portland, Oregon, to write features, shorts and blogs and continue editing cover stories and news, she spent six and a half years flogging writers and managing the intern program as High Country News' in-house associate editor. She grew up in Boulder, Colorado and has spent most of her adult life in small towns in the Rockies, studying white-crowned sparrows, reporting for newspapers and magazines and working on a trail crew. Her favorite tool — from her days building steps and retaining walls on the slopes of Mount Massive outside Leadville — is the double jack. These days, she's also especially partial to her 8-lb. maul.
email: sarah at hcn.org Follow @sarah_gilman
- Barbara Hulet on The Bundy family, on trial
- Shelley Stallings on The companies behind DAPL don’t think they’ve lost
- Steve Snyder on The twisted economics of the Dakota Access Pipeline
- Mark Rozman on Feds to send conciliators amid tensions over Dakota Access
- Mark Rozman on Latest: California’s tree die-off is bigger than you thought