TENT CITIES A RAISE FROM BOOM TIMES, NOT RECESSION
March 18, 2009
YES, you’ve seen the story on Oprah, the NY Times and NPR, but no one does it like High Country News!
This award-winning news magazine of the American West, investigates the issue of tent cities and shantytowns with names like Taco Flat that have sprung up to house the poor and dispossessed. While mainstream media is reporting the story as a “sign of the current economic times,” writer Scott Bransford takes a different view and explains that these cardboard and duck-tape villages actually began with boom times.
Check out the slide show:
Read the story:
If you are not a subscriber, you will be able to sign up for the free web trial in order to read this article.
High Country News
- Dale Lockwood on Colorado’s controversial plan to kill predators
- Regina Johnson on Go ahead, wander your way
- Paulette Bierzychudek on Obama’s mixed impact on endangered species
- Charles Fox on Colorado’s controversial plan to kill predators
- Bryan T Burke on Colorado’s controversial plan to kill predators