2008 Press Releases
High Country News, the award-winning news magazine of the American West, investigates the seamy underside of Southwest archaeological site exploration and artifact removal. A land once rich with ancestry has been scraped clean.
High Country News is sponsoring a panel discussion in Scottsdale entitled “Ancient Voices, Modern Times; The Future of Phoenix – Will History Repeat Itself in the Valley of the Sun?” The free public event will be held 7-9 p.m. Saturday, January 19, at ASU’s Kerr Cultural Center, 6110 N. Scottsdale Road, Scottsdale, AZ.
High Country News Northern Rockies editor Ray Ring is at it again. After winning the George Polk Award last year, Ring has written another block-buster story, detailing in stark human terms just how dangerous working in the oil and gas fields of the American West can be, and just how cavalier oil and gas companies have been about protecting their human resources. Ring uncovered a disconcerting number of fatal accidents in the field and a disconcerting tendency of government regulators to fine drilling companies making tens and even hundreds of millions of dollars each year pittances — a couple of thousand dollars — for safety violations that kill.
- Dale Lockwood on Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence
- Thomas Arvensis on There’s no Brexit from our climate problems
- Ed Morrow on How Utah coal interests helped push a secret plan to export coal from California
- Kate Schimel on Let’s be clear: TSA’s new tactics are bribery
- Blair French on Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence