Browse High Country News issues
Our special once-a-year Books and Essays issue, focusing on community and connection. Sarah Gilman finds that closeness means survival in the harsh, vast spaces of Mongolia as well as in the American West. Ana Maria Spagna describes how Maidu Indians came together to reclaim a sacred California valley from a utility company. Plus book reviews and profiles of authors like Erika T. Wurth, Mitchell S. Jackson and Lucia Berlin.Browse issue Digital Edition
Senior editor Jonathan Thompson digs into the mysterious methane cloud above the Four Corners region, plus Montana farmers take on climate change and archaeologists try to save the Arctic’s disappearing treasures. Cover: Storm clouds hang over the natural gas processing plant at Lybrook, New Mexico, one of the centers of natural gas production in the Four Corners region. Photo by Jim CaffreyBrowse issue Digital Edition
- Todd McMahon on No Bikes in Wilderness. Period.
- Thomas Arvensis on Snowpack is melting fast, despite April storms
- Larry Glickfeld on As Lake Mead sinks, states agree to more drastic water cuts
- Jason Brustad on No Bikes in Wilderness. Period.
- Robert Hooper on As Lake Mead sinks, states agree to more drastic water cuts