September 20, 1993
Locals balk at EPA's plan to declare Triumph, Idaho, a Superfund site due to mining waste.
Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell proposes a bill that would force the Washington Redskins to change their name.
An advocacy group's efforts to protect the Black Hill's ecosystem from too much logging is hindered by a lack of scientific data.
Bureau of Reclamation Commissioner Dan Beard invites two Ute tribes to take over the Animas-La Plata water diversion project.
Several land-use bills cause division and compromise among wise-use and environmental groups in Oregon's state legislature.
The Bureau of Land Management withdraws 20,000 acres of Sweetgrass Hills, a Native American spiritual site, from mineral development for two years.
Toward a New Direction: Social Justice, Race and the Environment focuses on links between pollution and poverty.
Former government biologist, Mark Shaffer, proposes the Endangered Species Act be extended to include entire ecosystems called lifelands.
An advocacy group forms to fight off a proposed ski resort on Seven Utes Mountain, west of Fort Collins, Colo.
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service wants to remove all livestock from an antelope refuge in order to conduct an ecosystem management restoration program.
The Department of the Interior is writing new rules to interpret an 1866 mining law concerning road-building.
Idaho Department of Health and Welfare report on arsenic and lead levels in blood samples of Triumph residents suggests no need for concern.
- Who’s cutting illegal ski trails in the Santa Fe National Forest?
- Mapping the large-scale loss of natural areas in the West
- Grand Canyon superintendent retires after harassment investigation
- Will the feds change course on Columbia River management?
- As delisting looms, grizzly advocates prepare for a final face-off
- Steve Snyder on Searching for solutions in the changing rural West
- Marcia Ewell on Revamped chemical safety law gives EPA more power
- Larry Glickfeld on How the livestock industry can help cut greenhouse gas emissions
- Mark Rozman on As delisting looms, grizzly advocates prepare for a final face-off
- Steve Snyder on How the livestock industry can help cut greenhouse gas emissions