September 3, 2012
Is Senate candidate Denny Rehberg of Montana really who he says he is? Also, looking into refinery safety, air pollution around gas fields, a closer examination of federal land swaps, and more.
Oil refineries pose serious health hazards for nearby residents as well as workers, as the recent explosion in Richmond and other incidents, like one in Sinclair, Wyo., have made clear.
A "temporary" policy change requires Forest Service firefighters to put out fires they might have let burn in previous years, for fear of them raging out of control.
Guinda, California is home to an unusual multi-ethnic community with a rich African-American farming tradition.
Federal land exchanges have come under increased scrutiny over the past decade, both from citizen activists and the Government Accountability Office.
Melanie Light's thoughtful essays, accompanied by the evocative black-and-white photographs of her husband, Ken Light, portray a dark and yet hauntingly beautiful California in Valley of Shadows and Dreams.
In Luis Alberto Urrea's sequel to The Hummingbird's Daughter, the author continues his imagined story of his legendary Great-aunt Teresita, who was known as the Saint of Cabora.
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town