July 23, 2012
Black Diamond CEO Peter Metcalf built a climbing-gear business when nobody thought it could be done. But his dream of turning the outdoor industry into a conservation champion remains tantalizingly elusive. Also, exporting coal to Asia incites a motley opposition, saving chimneys and swifts, Utah tar sands, Oregon logging pollution, and more.
- Ed Morrow on After years of drought and overuse, the San Luis Valley aquifer refills
- Jake Sigg on Mapping the large-scale loss of natural areas in the West
- L Strader on Trial by fire
- ivonne cassaigne on The tenuous fate of the Southwest’s last jaguars
- william glasgow on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans