Name: Jeff Rice
University of Utah Research librarian and co-founder of the Western Soundscape Archive, a library of 3,000 animal recordings
Favorite Place to Record:
The Southwest, because the region's low humidity and air turbulence only minimally alter and mute sound waves.
One of His Favorite Sounds:
The high-pitched squeak of the northern grasshopper mouse.
GPS, parabolic dish, Sennheiser microphones, Sound Devices 50-gig recorder, portable recorder, lapel mikes, Sony recorder, bat detector, hydrophone (for fish), and lots of rechargeable AA batteries.
- Krista Jordan on A Western lesson from Cecil the lion: trophy seekers aren't hunters
- John Pawlilkowski on Top 10 reasons not to move to Bozeman
- Greg D. Lind on Biking the line between wilderness and civilization
- Greg D. Lind on Readers’ essays on favorite spots to recreate
- Greg D. Lind on A tense confrontation on a quiet Montana road