Name: Jeff Rice
University of Utah Research librarian and co-founder of the Western Soundscape Archive, a library of 3,000 animal recordings
Favorite Place to Record:
The Southwest, because the region's low humidity and air turbulence only minimally alter and mute sound waves.
One of His Favorite Sounds:
The high-pitched squeak of the northern grasshopper mouse.
GPS, parabolic dish, Sennheiser microphones, Sound Devices 50-gig recorder, portable recorder, lapel mikes, Sony recorder, bat detector, hydrophone (for fish), and lots of rechargeable AA batteries.
- Dana Powers on The tenuous fate of the Southwest’s last jaguars
- Mark DeGregorio on Meet the aspiring ranger locked out by National Park Service practices
- Lael Bradshaw on New documentary offers a sharp look at the West’s water crisis
- Steve Snyder on Why has the National Park Service gotten whiter?
- Jim Schumont on Stop the rock-stacking