Name H. Lee Barnes
Hometown Las Vegas, Nevada
Vocation English professor at the College of Southern Nevada
Résumé In addition to his other careers, Barnes has been a construction laborer, a martial arts instructor and the coach for a champion tennis team.
Favorite casino game Roulette. "You have to use your brain when dealing it; there's a lot of finesse. The absolute randomness in every spin makes it a very existential game."
He says "I disagree with James Joyce. ... In real life we don't experience epiphanies, great life-turning moments. ... Rather, we accumulate experiences that move us in a direction; later, through reflection, we embrace a more mature view of the events that shape us and gain a better acceptance of life."
- Ricardo Small on In Arizona, the people move ahead of the politicians
- Dean Nyffeler on New data released on violent threats to federal employees
- John Crosse on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- John Worlock on The U.S.’s only rare-earth mine files for bankruptcy
- Andy Grosland on The pain thief of Spokane