September 5, 2011
The dedicated volunteers of the Hummingbird Monitoring Network serve as citizen scientists, gathering field data on the birds they love.
In New Mexico's San Juan County, a new ordinance contrasts upper class aesthetics against a rural lifestyle.
Four Western cities receive grants to improve habitat for the millions of migratory birds that pass through urban areas every year.
The Mountain Maidu Indians and the state Department of Fish and Game are both seeking control of California's Humbug Valley.
The Conservation Reserve Program, which pays farmers to idle highly erodible cropland, is facing budget cuts and other challenges.
- LaOnda Clark on Photos: A protest over imprisoned ranchers becomes an occupation of a wildlife refuge
- Daniel Greenstadt on Biking bill is a smokescreen for opening up wilderness
- Eric Haggstrom on Balancing the pulls of domesticity and wilderness
- Toby Thaler on Nuclear power divides California’s environmentalists
- Jim Bolen on Biking bill is a smokescreen for opening up wilderness