September 5, 2011
The dedicated volunteers of the Hummingbird Monitoring Network serve as citizen scientists, gathering field data on the birds they love.
In New Mexico's San Juan County, a new ordinance contrasts upper class aesthetics against a rural lifestyle.
Four Western cities receive grants to improve habitat for the millions of migratory birds that pass through urban areas every year.
The Mountain Maidu Indians and the state Department of Fish and Game are both seeking control of California's Humbug Valley.
The Conservation Reserve Program, which pays farmers to idle highly erodible cropland, is facing budget cuts and other challenges.
- Deb Dedon on New data released on violent threats to federal employees
- Deb Dedon on In Arizona, the people move ahead of the politicians
- Daniel Smith on A door squeaks open for rural energy independence
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Rick Beauheim on EPA says fracking could contaminate drinking water