February 5, 2007
Water efficiency has long been touted as a silver bullet for the West?s water problems, but too much efficiency can cause problems of its own, especially in the fragile Colorado River Delta. Also in this issue: In Idaho and Wyoming, old eminent domain laws allow private entities to condemn landowners? property ? as Peter and Judy Riede discovered when J.R. Simplot Co. announced plans to expand its phosphate mine and build a road across their ranch.
- Mark Rozman on How bigotry is woven in with our Western roots
- Larry Glickfeld on This year’s weird Alaska winter should make us very, very nervous.
- Laura Jean Schneider on Ranch Diaries: The risks of ranching on a wild landscape
- Ed Morrow on How bigotry is woven in with our Western roots
- Ed Morrow on This year’s weird Alaska winter should make us very, very nervous.