September 18, 2006
Mountain bikers are finally winning respect, along with increased access to trails, but a growing breed of gonzo riders with heavy, fast, high-tech bikes — and a thirst for riding in wilderness — could threaten all that. Also in this issue: National pundits say the nation’s political parties are moving toward the extremes, but in the West, Republicans — unhappy with some far-right politicians — seem to be heading back to the middle.
- Mark Rozman on As Lake Mead sinks, states agree to more drastic water cuts
- Nicholas Sund on A millennial mayor and his timber town
- Don Bertolette on No, national parks are not America’s ‘best idea’
- David Orr on No, national parks are not America’s ‘best idea’
- Howard Johnson on As Lake Mead sinks, states agree to more drastic water cuts