August 7, 2006
The science behind endangered species is extremely complicated, as seen in the clash between biologist Rob Roy Ramey II and geneticist Tim King over whether Preble’s meadow jumping mouse in Colorado is truly a legitimate subspecies deserving protection. Also in this issue: New Mexico and other Western states are eagerly vying to get into the movie business, offering film companies an assortment of tax breaks and financial incentives.
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town