Edited by Peter Gleick
320 pages, softcover $35.
Island Press, 2004.
The fourth installment of this annual report covers water issues that span the globe. Gleick — president of the Pacific Institute for Studies in Development, Environment, and Security — and other water brainiacs contemplate climate change and water in California, urban water conservation, and Third World groundwater development, which offers farmers a path beyond subsistence, but poses huge management and sustainability challenges.
- Richard Reinaker on No, federal land transfers are not in the Constitution
- Steve Snyder on Sugar Pine Mine, the other standoff
- Robert Waddell on Oath Keepers show up for a public lands dispute in Oregon
- jim bolen on Sugar Pine Mine, the other standoff
- Warren Anderson on How a huge Arizona mining deal was passed — and could be revoked