Edited by Peter Gleick
320 pages, softcover $35.
Island Press, 2004.
The fourth installment of this annual report covers water issues that span the globe. Gleick — president of the Pacific Institute for Studies in Development, Environment, and Security — and other water brainiacs contemplate climate change and water in California, urban water conservation, and Third World groundwater development, which offers farmers a path beyond subsistence, but poses huge management and sustainability challenges.
- jay weston on National Park Week fails to change the game
- Ben DeJarnette on A millennial mayor and his timber town
- Pam Roylance on Photos: Inside the controversial sport of coyote coursing
- Ed Morrow on Thousands of fish die in Colorado, amid flood recovery projects
- Richard Jones on National Park Week fails to change the game