Edited by Peter Gleick
320 pages, softcover $35.
Island Press, 2004.
The fourth installment of this annual report covers water issues that span the globe. Gleick — president of the Pacific Institute for Studies in Development, Environment, and Security — and other water brainiacs contemplate climate change and water in California, urban water conservation, and Third World groundwater development, which offers farmers a path beyond subsistence, but poses huge management and sustainability challenges.
- The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Latest: California fracking companies inject protected aquifers with wastewater
- Obama's preemptive strike to reform Endangered Species Act
- Sightseeing at an open pit mine in Arizona copper country
- Wyoming trespass law is the latest in grazing battle