Edited by Peter Gleick
320 pages, softcover $35.
Island Press, 2004.
The fourth installment of this annual report covers water issues that span the globe. Gleick — president of the Pacific Institute for Studies in Development, Environment, and Security — and other water brainiacs contemplate climate change and water in California, urban water conservation, and Third World groundwater development, which offers farmers a path beyond subsistence, but poses huge management and sustainability challenges.
- Bob Hartung on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- Wylie Cox on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- Richard Crow on Freeway closure by flash flood should teach us a lesson
- Sarah Tory on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Greg Graves on Can human judgment handle avalanches?