Edited by Peter Gleick
320 pages, softcover $35.
Island Press, 2004.
The fourth installment of this annual report covers water issues that span the globe. Gleick — president of the Pacific Institute for Studies in Development, Environment, and Security — and other water brainiacs contemplate climate change and water in California, urban water conservation, and Third World groundwater development, which offers farmers a path beyond subsistence, but poses huge management and sustainability challenges.
- Tom Darnell on Will public-lands ranchers pay more for grazing?
- Alan Stevens on Private property blocks access to public lands
- Linda VanFossan on California has one year of water left: Hype or reality?
- Joseph Yannuzzi on Sportsmen’s bill aims to open inaccessible public lands
- Robert Gates on Lessons from boom and bust in New Mexico