I just want to thank you for Jeff Golden's piece about finding the middle ground in the forest management debate (HCN, 9/16/02: A modest forest proposal for President Bush). We need more sensible, thoughtful people who understand the situation to reflect and contribute their thinking on how we can preserve wilderness, reduce huge wildfires and protect our watersheds.
We learned this summer in Colorado that what we have been doing isn't enough, and neither is letting commercial logging interests carve up what roadless areas remain to harvest old-growth timber under the guise of improving forest health. Thanks for his contribution.
- James Angerer on What the West’s trees tell us
- Rodney B Proffitt on After years of drought and overuse, the San Luis Valley aquifer refills
- Tina Sanchez on Searching for solutions in the changing rural West
- Ann Meisel on Searching for solutions in the changing rural West
- Steve Snyder on Searching for solutions in the changing rural West