I just want to thank you for Jeff Golden's piece about finding the middle ground in the forest management debate (HCN, 9/16/02: A modest forest proposal for President Bush). We need more sensible, thoughtful people who understand the situation to reflect and contribute their thinking on how we can preserve wilderness, reduce huge wildfires and protect our watersheds.
We learned this summer in Colorado that what we have been doing isn't enough, and neither is letting commercial logging interests carve up what roadless areas remain to harvest old-growth timber under the guise of improving forest health. Thanks for his contribution.
- Ricardo Small on In Arizona, the people move ahead of the politicians
- Dean Nyffeler on New data released on violent threats to federal employees
- John Crosse on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- John Worlock on The U.S.’s only rare-earth mine files for bankruptcy
- Andy Grosland on The pain thief of Spokane