I just want to thank you for Jeff Golden's piece about finding the middle ground in the forest management debate (HCN, 9/16/02: A modest forest proposal for President Bush). We need more sensible, thoughtful people who understand the situation to reflect and contribute their thinking on how we can preserve wilderness, reduce huge wildfires and protect our watersheds.
We learned this summer in Colorado that what we have been doing isn't enough, and neither is letting commercial logging interests carve up what roadless areas remain to harvest old-growth timber under the guise of improving forest health. Thanks for his contribution.
- Andy Grosland on I have a lot in common with the Bundys. Here's what I'd like to say to them.
- Melissa McDowell on I have a lot in common with the Bundys. Here's what I'd like to say to them.
- Richard Reinaker on No, federal land transfers are not in the Constitution
- Steve Snyder on Sugar Pine Mine, the other standoff
- Robert Waddell on Oath Keepers show up for a public lands dispute in Oregon