In his piece on Brad Powell, the Forest Service's Regional Forester for California (HCN, 9/10/01: New forest chief becomes a lame duck), Ed Marston makes it sound like Dale Bosworth fired Powell. In fact, Powell is moving to Missoula to become regional forester for the Northern Region (North Idaho, Montana, North Dakota). That's not an insignificant post in the Forest Service. It's where Bosworth was before he became chief.
I don't understand how Marston thinks Powell's career has been wrecked. Work under the California forest plan proceeds. Mr. Powell now comes north. What's the problem with that?
Jack de Golia
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town