A collection of High Country News articles concerning public policy and the environment.
The Columbia Basin Fish Accords have funded $1 billion worth of habitat restoration projects, but can they replace free-flowing rivers?
Richard Halsey says Southern California’s chaparral is not to blame for the fires that scorch the region every year.
Democratic candidate Misty Snow is progressive, transgender and, she says, increasingly representative of Utah.
Montana Human Rights Network and attorney general's office fight against increasing influence and influx of radical right hate groups.
Today, we need to listen more carefully than ever to the ideas of Western historian, Bernard DeVoto.
- Mark DeGregorio on Meet the aspiring ranger locked out by National Park Service practices
- Lael Bradshaw on New documentary offers a sharp look at the West’s water crisis
- Steve Snyder on Why has the National Park Service gotten whiter?
- Jim Schumont on Stop the rock-stacking
- Kate Schimel on Biking bill is a smokescreen for opening up wilderness