A collection of High Country News articles concerning public policy and the environment.
The controversial Clean Water Act rule protects tributaries with any sign of water, no matter the flow.
For 20 years, David Bertelsen has been in love with the same five-mile trail up Finger Rock Canyon north of Tucson, keeping track of its animal and plant life and watching out for the well-being of a fragile landscape.
Supreme Court decision is a setback to one of the biggest environmental actions of the Obama administration.
This Washington insider’s ‘hidden hand’ has guided the environmental achievements of presidents for two decades.
After years of confusion over which waters are protected by the EPA, Waters of the US rule is updated.
Candidate for Democratic nomination tells Republican presidential hopefuls to heed scientists on global warming.
Bill would allow recreation businesses to operate on federal land without paying staff $10.10 an hour.
District judge rules ESA has no say over species that don't have multi-state presence or economic impact.
- Dave Cichan on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Keith Barefoot on Illegal flights persist despite national park drone ban
- Greg Graves on Illegal flights persist despite national park drone ban
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Beth & George Broyles on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans