Available Digital-Editions of High Country News
A series of stories about the way we think about wildfire in the West. Plus, a vanishing Rio Grande fish may foretell the river's fate; the Supreme Court wants the EPA to consider the costs of new regulations as well as health benefits; and more.
SHREDDED: Will a growing, technologically evolved army of thrill seekers overrun every corner of the West? Cover Photo: Day seven of a hut-to-hut mountain biking trip from Telluride, Colorado, to Moab, Utah. By Sergio Ballivian
Dust to Dust
Why the rare earths industry is about to bust in the American West, fracking-induced earthquakes, revival of a Montana mining town, and the sage grouse two-step. Cover image: Massimo Brega/The Lighthouse/Science Source
Tree of Life
How genetic research on common species could be the key to saving the greatest number of plants and animals. Also, a bull trout comeback, innovations in agricultural water leasing and an ode to morel hunting. Cover Image: Original illustration by Bryce Gladfelter.
A profile of Washington, DC, insider John Podesta, the Trans Pacific Partnership, and a contentious diversion on the Gila River.
The Wetland Wars
Environmentalists battle to save urban wetlands in Los Angeles, an obscure legal provision becomes a new Sagebrush Rebellion tactic, and labor victories in Western cities.
Tucson rainwater revolution, the Bakken boom closes in on a national park, a look at the West’s drought, and more.
- Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence
- BLM moves away from landmark Northwest Forest Plan
- How Utah coal interests helped push a secret plan to export coal from California
- Emotions run high over monument designation in Utah
- Let’s be clear: TSA’s new tactics are bribery
- Katherine Fiveash on Ranch Diaries: How to have a clear head and rested heart
- Kent Matowitz on Let’s be clear: TSA’s new tactics are bribery
- Blair French on How Shelton Johnson became the Buffalo Soldiers’ champion
- Ruby Ram on Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence
- Mark Rozman on We should be proud of delisting grizzlies