Items by Stephen Trimble
Natural history teaches us how rapidly and irrevocably the world can change -- a fact we should bear in mind as we enter the new, human-dominated era some scientists call the Anthropocene.
Why not use the talents of unemployed photographers and other artistic types in a kind of Creative Conservation Corps?
Western writers offer a generous and inspired list of recommended reading for the president-elect, including a diverse collection of fiction and nonfiction.
Photographer Stephen Trimble offers suggestions for how citizens and communities can reinvent their relationship with the Western landscape.
- Rich Schrader on How the West will feel groundwater shortages
- Rich Schrader on Freeway closure by flash flood should teach us a lesson
- vince bandola on The Forest Service battles placer mining with an obscure law
- Deb Dedon on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution