Items by Sam Western
More Montana farmers are starting to raise oilseed crops and produce their own biofuels to save on energy costs
Montana’s land-grant universities have so far shown little interest in promoting organic agriculture
A timeline shows that since its founding, Wyoming has occasionally boomed but more often busted under the thumb of extractive industry
After the enthusiastic boosterism that surrounded alternative livestock in the 1980s, emu, ostrich, elk and bison producers have seen the market - and their incomes - plummet.
Big Horn, Wyo., residents who lost a lawsuit to stop a resort and 600-home development get revenge by ousting one of the county commissioners who allowed the development.
- Carl Reese on Five Western waterways worse than the orange Animas
- Steve Snyder on The Endangered Species Act's biggest experiment
- Ray Ring on Montana farmers start talking climate change
- Wayne L Hare on Dispatch from a medic on the North Star Fire in Washington
- Tom McCall on Scientists strengthen link between climate change and drought