Items by Rick Keister
The BLM's Resource Advisory Committees appointed by Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt help to ease tension and begin consensus among ranchers and environmentalists.
A U.S. District Court strikes down Nye County, Nevada's ordinance claiming county ownership of all public lands in its borders.
A report from the National Conference of State Legislators, "States and Tribes: Building New Traditions," says state and tribal governments need to cooperate.
Cows poisoned; antler poaching; brucellosis logo in Yellowstone; overheated black-footed ferrets die; beef fudge recipe; prison near Norwood, Colo., school; salvage logging protest; "drive-through' Ph.D.; Harry Merlo's successor; recreation bulldozing.
Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt launches the first phase of his grazing reform in Grand Junction, Colorado.
Dan Beard resigns as director of the Bureau of Reclamation to the disappointment of environmentalists.
- Jim Scarborough on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- on Feds opt not to list Mono Basin sage grouse
- Chase Gunnell on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- Arnold Weissberg on Ranch Diaries: Building community in the middle of nowhere
- Steve Snyder on Only 40 years ago, the Earth got its day