Items by Michael Engelhard
In Arctic Voices: Resistance at the Tipping Point, renowned photographer Subhankar Banerjee hears from 39 writers, biologists, activists and Native Americans about the need to save the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
The short stories in Marjorie Kowalski Cole's posthumous collection The City Beneath the Snow take readers deep into the subarctic melting pot of Fairbanks, Alaska.
T.C. Boyle's new novel, When the Killing's Done, examines the awkward way humans interact with nature and with one another.
Both fans and critics contemplate the life and legacy of Edward Abbey in a special issue of the Western literary and arts journal Matter.
In his compassionate, understated memoir, Walking Home, Lynn Schooler hikes across rugged Southeast Alaska.
A California Bestiary celebrates the state's wildlife with vivid illustrations by Mona Caron and thoughtful words by Rebecca Solnit.
- After attack, the country’s oldest park ranger is back at work
- Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence
- Emotions run high over monument designation in Utah
- BLM moves away from landmark Northwest Forest Plan
- How Utah coal interests helped push a secret plan to export coal from California
- Doug Johnson on In this season of potential megaburns, nix the campfire
- The Taylors on Latest: The BLM to study surgical sterilization of wild horses
- Marcia Ewell on New measures could reduce Glen Canyon Dam’s impact on the Grand Canyon — a bit
- Charles Fox on Federal coal leasing needs a major overhaul
- Carl Reese on Study finds surprising source of Colorado River water supply