Items by Matthew Preusch
Amateur gold prospectors are invading the West’s publicly owned streams, and environmentalists say the hobby’s popularity threatens fish and the environment
Washington’s 194-member Stillaguamish Tribe has demolished its only village to make room for a casino, but now the casino’s financiers are under investigation, and the tribe’s gaming permit is in limbo
As the Wild Sky Wilderness Act goes to Congress this year, supporters fear the Republican-controlled Congress may let the timber industry have a crack at the land, rather than preserving the area in Washington’s Cascade Range.
On the Walla Walla River In southern Washington and northern Oregon, local farmers and environmentalists have avoided a drought-sparked water war with collaboration and innovative irrigation reform.
- Ray Ring on Dispatch from a medic on the North Star Fire in Washington
- Tracy Schlater on Dispatch from a medic on the North Star Fire in Washington
- Tom Darnell on The Endangered Species Act's biggest experiment
- Wayne L Hare on Dispatch from a medic on the North Star Fire in Washington
- Meg Scherch-Peterson on The Endangered Species Act's biggest experiment