Items by Marshall Swearingen
The industry hopes Wyoming's coal bonanza lasts another 100 years. But mining's peaks and valleys have never been entirely in its control.
A little-known 1955 law gives the Forest Service a way to shut down placer mining claims along some Western rivers.
- Lee Rimel on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Fred Swanson on Is tech ruining the wilderness?
- Rick Masters on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- W John Faust on Freeway closure by flash flood should teach us a lesson