Items by Marshall Swearingen
The constitutionalist group Oath Keepers is defending a mine that the Forest Service says is out of compliance.
The industry hopes Wyoming's coal bonanza lasts another 100 years. But mining's peaks and valleys have never been entirely in its control.
A little-known 1955 law gives the Forest Service a way to shut down placer mining claims along some Western rivers.
- Jane Shafroth on Rants from the Hill: The aliens that make Nevada home
- Irene S on No direction home
- Richard Crow on Ranch Diaries: Why cowboy life is intense
- Richard Crow on Mass shootings in Western states, by the numbers
- Mary Mcallister on Wildland restoration is like marriage: An imperfect work in progress