Items by Marshall Swearingen
The constitutionalist group Oath Keepers is defending a mine that the Forest Service says is out of compliance.
The industry hopes Wyoming's coal bonanza lasts another 100 years. But mining's peaks and valleys have never been entirely in its control.
A little-known 1955 law gives the Forest Service a way to shut down placer mining claims along some Western rivers.
- Carl Reese on Five Western waterways worse than the orange Animas
- Steve Snyder on The Endangered Species Act's biggest experiment
- Ray Ring on Montana farmers start talking climate change
- Wayne L Hare on Dispatch from a medic on the North Star Fire in Washington
- Tom McCall on Scientists strengthen link between climate change and drought