Items by John Dougherty
An air-tour businessman and Italian developers become deeply enmeshed in the politics of tiny Tusayan, Ariz., part of a plan to profit from the nearby Grand Canyon.
A first-hand account by a longtime Arizona investigative reporter, John Dougherty, about his surprising Senate campaign.
A controversial proposed land swap reveals the growing rift between Maricopa Audubon and a new and wealthier rival -- Audubon Arizona.
Phoenix land-use planners want to use a chunk of state trust land as a laboratory for future, more sustainable real estate development.
John McCain likes to compare himself to Teddy Roosevelt, but his conservation record is closer to that of a less-popular Republican: George W. Bush.
Mexican Wolves in Catron County, New Mexico struggle to survive in the midst of underfunding, inbreeding, and hostile local ranchers.
The last free-flowing river in the desert Southwest, Arizona’s San Pedro, is threatened by an expanding Fort Huachuca and a controversial congressman
The brutal murder of a Japanese tourist shines an unwelcome spotlight on the social problems plaguing Arizona’s beautiful but troubled Havasupai Reservation
Just over the Arizona-Sonora border, Tohono O’odham traditionalists have joined environmental groups in fighting a proposed Mexican hazardous waste landfill.
The Sonoran Desert homeland of the Tohono O’odham Nation has become a nerve-wracking police state, caught in the crossfire between drug and immigrant smugglers and the U.S. Border Patrol.
- Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence
- BLM moves away from landmark Northwest Forest Plan
- How Utah coal interests helped push a secret plan to export coal from California
- Emotions run high over monument designation in Utah
- Let’s be clear: TSA’s new tactics are bribery
- Kent Matowitz on Sometimes, the West must be protected from itself
- Katherine Fiveash on Ranch Diaries: How to have a clear head and rested heart
- Kent Matowitz on Let’s be clear: TSA’s new tactics are bribery
- Blair French on How Shelton Johnson became the Buffalo Soldiers’ champion
- Ruby Ram on Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence