Items by Jenny Emery
Historian Mark Fiege's book, "Irrigated Eden: The Making of an Agricultural Landscape in the American West," describes southern Idaho as a hybrid habitat that reveals a complicated reciprocal relationship between people and nature.
The anthology "New Genesis: A Mormon Reader on Land and Community" features essays by contemporary Mormons who seek a reconciliation between their faith and the Utah landscape.
Self-taught grazing activist Michael Seidman wins a victory when a federal judge rules that the Forest Service's analysis of a grazing allotment on Arizona's Tonto National Forest was inadequate.
In Colorado, a bill to gut state law 1041, which allows local communities to have strict land-use regulations, is pulled from consideration in the House.
Idaho Fish and Game officials urge the Forest Service to remove logging roads damaged by heavy rain and landslides in national forests.
A longtime effort to restore bighorn sheep to Hells Canyon is imperiled by a deadly outbreak of the disease pasturella.
Non-residents who illegally kill fish and wildlife in Montana face stiffer penalties than locals who commit the same crimes.
U.S. Fish and Wildlife issues a draft propoal that would allow the agency to remove the wolf from the endangered list before environmentalists think it is recovered.
Idaho environmentalists fight with the state Land Board over leasing parcels for conservation instead of grazing and win a court victory.
The Northwest Ecosystem Alliance is the highest bidder for Washington's Thunder Mountain salvage sale, but once the group refuses to log the trees, the Forest Service may not go through with the sale.
- Patricia Clabaugh on Why has the National Park Service gotten whiter?
- Jerry Nolan on Nuclear power divides California’s environmentalists
- Mike Sennett on Latest: Officials open a criminal investigation of EPA’s role in the Animas river spill
- Todd McMahon on Biking bill is a smokescreen for opening up wilderness
- Jim Bolen on Latest: Officials open a criminal investigation of EPA’s role in the Animas river spill