Items by Emily Steinmetz
After years of prosperity and breakneck growth, Phoenix and its Western siblings have crashed hard thanks to the recession. And the food banks and other social services are very busy.
A former national recreation director talks about the pressures on government employees during the Bush administration.
In rural western Colorado, a vet tends to pets and their humans. Michelle Nijhuis reads her essay, along with slides by JT Thomas.
Brand-new resource management plans from Utah’s BLM welcome ATVs and energy development onto some of the state’s most fragile land.
In Delta County, Colorado, a pilot program sent prisoners to work on three farms during the summer of 2008.
The BLM hurriedly releases six proposed resource management plans for 11 million acres of public land in Utah, leaving little time to respond.
The BLM auctioned leases on 54,631 acres in Western Colorado to the natural gas industry for a record $114 million.
An illustration showing the differences between the Northern Spotted Owl and Barred Owl. Also, listen to the call from each species.
New enforcement of rural property tax laws could price out longtime residents in northern New Mexico counties.
- David W Hamilton on Trump’s Cabinet choices reflect deep Koch influence
- Millie Carson on Trump’s Cabinet choices reflect deep Koch influence
- Dale Lockwood on Colorado’s controversial plan to kill predators
- Regina Johnson on Go ahead, wander your way
- Paulette Bierzychudek on Obama’s mixed impact on endangered species