Items by Emilene Ostlind
In rural Wyoming, naturalist John Mionczynski plays piano, restores motorcycles, studies wildlife and tracks down evidence for the mysterious creature known as Sasquatch.
Wold Oil Properties is a wildcatter - a small company that explores for oil and gas in areas where the fuels aren't known to exist in valuable quantities.
Along the 120-mile-long "Path of the Pronghorn," migrating animals cross rivers, dodge traffic, battle blizzards and navigate the infrastructure of Wyoming energy development.
Emilene Ostlind and Joe Riis tracked the western Wyoming pronghorn migration for two years. But it wasn't until their final spring that they truly experienced it.
If you really believe in trying to eat a local, sustainable diet, why not learn to hunt for your own food?
Emilene Ostlind talks with Niemeyer about his years tracking, capturing, relocating and removing wolves in the Northern Rockies, and his perspective on wolf management.
The tumbleweed may seem like a Western icon, but actually it's an invasive nuisance that scientists are struggling to control.
Columbia Energy Partners plans to build four 104-MW wind farms with 40 to 60 turbines each on Steens Mountain. East and West Ridge will be on private land inside the protected area boundaries, Echanis on private land just outside the protected area and Riddle Mountain on state land.
Mule deer on Wyoming's Pinedale Anticline are struggling, and the BLM's adaptive management plan has done nothing to help.
The essays in Ellen Waterston's Where the Crooked River Rises pay homage to her home in the high desert of eastern Oregon.
- After attack, the country’s oldest park ranger is back at work
- Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence
- Emotions run high over monument designation in Utah
- BLM moves away from landmark Northwest Forest Plan
- How Utah coal interests helped push a secret plan to export coal from California
- Harold Johnson on We should be proud of delisting grizzlies
- Mark Rozman on Study finds surprising source of Colorado River water supply
- Doug Johnson on In this season of potential megaburns, nix the campfire
- The Taylors on Latest: The BLM to study surgical sterilization of wild horses
- Marcia Ewell on New measures could reduce Glen Canyon Dam’s impact on the Grand Canyon — a bit