Items by Ariana Brocious
Archaeologists debate how best to preserve Arizona's crumbling missions – and sometimes ask if it’s time to let them die.
A sheepdog attack highlights conflicts between recreators and ranchers in Colorado's increasingly popular national forests.
HCN reader Mary Jane Skala regards the buyout that ended her journalism career as a blessing in disguise that gave her the freedom to travel across the West.
Maurice McKinney has long delighted the staff of High Country News with lively letters about his life as a rockhound.
Warming temperatures may put an end to the stone fruit and nut harvest in California's Central Valley.
The new border wall may not be stopping all that many immigrants, but it's certainly having an impact on Southwestern wildlife.
- David DuBois on What will become of the backcountry in Utah’s Wasatch?
- Dennis Jones on Colorado, other Western states support Syrian refugee program
- Peter Sandrock on Reflecting on the tragedy of the young 'invincibles'
- Roy Frybarger on Colorado, other Western states support Syrian refugee program
- Julia Duin on Charles Bowden on The War Next Door