Name: Gary Marbut
Background: During high school, he worked as a ski patrolman, and then in 1969 he enlisted in the Army. He served three years and took a "European Discharge," bought a motorcycle and spent a year driving around Europe and North Africa.
Conservation: Marbut's house is "a model for energy conservation -- high thermal mass, well insulated, active-passive solar" backed up by a fireplace. He says he spends less than $10 per year on electricity from the grid. He also tends a large organic vegetable garden.
- Matt Chew on Invasive crayfish in Oregon devastate native newts
- Jeffronimo Kingpin on Is Yucca Mountain back on the table?
- Verne House on Gold King Mine water was headed for the Animas, anyway
- Irene Schmidt on A tense confrontation on a quiet Montana road
- Russ McCollum on What we've lost in the Methow Valley wildfires