Advertising and Sponsorship Policy
Our mission is to cover the important issues and stories that define the American West. High Country News strives to inform and inspire people to act on behalf of the West’s diverse natural and human communities. We accept advertising because it helps pay the costs of publishing a high-quality, full-color magazine where topics are well-researched and reported in an in-depth manner. We believe advertising is a service to our readers, and we seek advertisements from progressive companies, organizations and individuals that share our commitment and values, and that provide goods and services beneficial to our readership. Editorial content will always be the dominant feature of the magazine; ads will take up no more than one-third of the magazine on average. High Country News encourages advertisers to subscribe to the publication by offering them a 10 percent subscriber’s discount on advertising rates.
High Country News does not accept ads for the following products: hard alcohol, illegal drugs or paraphernalia for illegal drugs, sexual escort services, tobacco or check-cashing services.
All contents of advertisements are subject to publisher’s approval. Publisher reserves the right to reject or cancel any advertisement, insertion order, space reservation or position commitment at any time without cause. Publisher reserves the right to insert the word “advertisement” above or below any copy.
Cancellation of any insertion order will require advertiser to pay the published standard rates for any ads already run, regardless of quoted price in the insertion order. In addition, advertiser will pay a 10 percent penalty on the remaining ads being canceled. Full payment will be charged for all contracts canceled after the space reservation/copy deadline. Please note, classified ads are non-refundable. Choose your run dates accordingly.
As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, High Country News (HCN) gratefully accepts tax-deductible corporate sponsorship to support its mission. HCN will not solicit or accept sponsorship from corporate entities whose practices, policies, or operations are deemed unacceptable and contrary to the values implicit in its mission.
HCN actively solicits and encourages the business community, service clubs, and other organizations to become sponsors of HCN events, programs, and services. HCN enters into sponsorship agreements with sponsors it deems appropriate. Sponsorship agreements may vary by sponsor. HCN reserves the right to refuse or decline any offer of sponsorship at its absolute discretion or to negotiate with the sponsor concerning any aspect of a proposed sponsorship.
A sponsorship is defined as a mutually beneficial exchange arranged in advance whereby:
• HCN obtains support for a specified activity.
• Sponsor receives acknowledgement in return for cash and/or products and services-in-kind to HCN.
• HCN does not accept corporate sponsorship for certain categories of products and services, including hard alcohol, illegal drugs or paraphernalia for illegal drugs, sexual escort services, tobacco or check-cashing services.
• HCN does not endorse, directly or by implication, any products, services, or ideas promoted except those sponsored directly by the organization.
• HCN must retain control over any sponsored program and sponsors should not have any input into operational matters relating to a project they have sponsored. This policy is not applicable to philanthropic contributions, grants, or unsolicited donations in which no benefits are granted to the sponsor and where no business relationship exists.