Visits to three Western dams – California’s doomed Matilija Dam, the unfinished Elk Creek Dam in Oregon, and the Southwest’s giant Glen Canyon Dam – lead the author to consider the fact that sooner or later, every dam crumbles
The writer says San Francisco has been milking a cash cow from the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir inside Yosemite National Park
In order to remain aware of the amount of water she uses in her dry climate, the author collects her dishwater daily, and pours it on her compost pile
Chromium 6 is moving from the California desert toward the Colorado River, and officials fear it might contaminate the drinking water supply of 20 million people
- Mary Sojourner on Rants from the Hill: Desert Insomnia
- Mary Sojourner on Solace at the end of Homer Spit
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on Why are Hopi rangers impounding sheep at Black Mesa?
- Emma Drew on What’s in the water in Woods Cross?
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on On Black Mesa, the natives make a comeback