A new book makes a case for optimism in the basin, but the threat of water battles will always be around.
The protests are fueled by a diverse array of causes, from tribal sovereignty to fossil fuel dependence.
Background on the Standing Rock Sioux pipeline protests and how social media and climate activism raised their profile.
Senior scientist Jay Famiglietti’s research looks at the West and the world’s dwindling water resources.
Boaters are joining wildlife advocates, farmers and power companies to parcel out each cubic foot of Western rivers.
We altered our grazing plan early in the summer to account for aridity, but now we’re rolling in forage.
- Shelley Stallings on Colorado’s controversial plan to kill predators
- Thomas Arvensis on Real reporting for a divided country
- David W Hamilton on With more monuments, Republican backlash mounts
- David W Hamilton on Real reporting for a divided country
- Mark Rozman on Trump’s Interior pick confounds conservationists