A new book makes a case for optimism in the basin, but the threat of water battles will always be around.
The protests are fueled by a diverse array of causes, from tribal sovereignty to fossil fuel dependence.
Background on the Standing Rock Sioux pipeline protests and how social media and climate activism raised their profile.
Senior scientist Jay Famiglietti’s research looks at the West and the world’s dwindling water resources.
Boaters are joining wildlife advocates, farmers and power companies to parcel out each cubic foot of Western rivers.
- David W Hamilton on Trump’s Cabinet choices reflect deep Koch influence
- Millie Carson on Trump’s Cabinet choices reflect deep Koch influence
- Dale Lockwood on Colorado’s controversial plan to kill predators
- Regina Johnson on Go ahead, wander your way
- Paulette Bierzychudek on Obama’s mixed impact on endangered species