Visits to three Western dams – California’s doomed Matilija Dam, the unfinished Elk Creek Dam in Oregon, and the Southwest’s giant Glen Canyon Dam – lead the author to consider the fact that sooner or later, every dam crumbles
The writer says San Francisco has been milking a cash cow from the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir inside Yosemite National Park
Chromium 6 is moving from the California desert toward the Colorado River, and officials fear it might contaminate the drinking water supply of 20 million people
In order to remain aware of the amount of water she uses in her dry climate, the author collects her dishwater daily, and pours it on her compost pile
Controversy over the long-planned Animas-La Plata Dam in southwestern Colorado flares again, when the soaring price tag of "A-LP Ultralight" becomes known
In central Utah, Sanpete County wants to build a dam and reservoir to provide for its fast-growing population, but neighboring Carbon County says the Gooseberry Narrows Dam will be a water-stealing boondoggle
- Joan E. Miller on An ardent defender of North Dakota's badlands wonders if it's time to leave
- Warren Anderson on An ardent defender of North Dakota's badlands wonders if it's time to leave
- Jim Scarborough on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- on Feds opt not to list Mono Basin sage grouse
- Chase Gunnell on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?