Visits to three Western dams – California’s doomed Matilija Dam, the unfinished Elk Creek Dam in Oregon, and the Southwest’s giant Glen Canyon Dam – lead the author to consider the fact that sooner or later, every dam crumbles
The writer says San Francisco has been milking a cash cow from the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir inside Yosemite National Park
In order to remain aware of the amount of water she uses in her dry climate, the author collects her dishwater daily, and pours it on her compost pile
Chromium 6 is moving from the California desert toward the Colorado River, and officials fear it might contaminate the drinking water supply of 20 million people
- Alan Stevens on Private property blocks access to public lands
- Linda VanFossan on California has one year of water left: Hype or reality?
- Joseph Yannuzzi on Sportsmen’s bill aims to open inaccessible public lands
- Robert Gates on Lessons from boom and bust in New Mexico
- colt por on Is there a way through the West's bitter wild horse wars?