A new book makes a case for optimism in the basin, but the threat of water battles will always be around.
The protests are fueled by a diverse array of causes, from tribal sovereignty to fossil fuel dependence.
- Barbara Ullian on How to love a weird and perfect wilderness
- John Wahoff on It’s not the Wild West anymore. Look before you shoot.
- Tom Kinnane on Missing science, disagreement surrounds fracking report
- Gerald Burton on Back to civics class: 10 things to know about Standing Rock
- Steve Snyder on Missing science, disagreement surrounds fracking report