With demographic shifts, trendy activities like wildlife viewing and kayaking are increasing faster than traditional activities like hunting and backpacking.
Editor’s note for HCN’s second annual special issue on travel in the West describes some quirky personal trips.
A father understands what’s gained by taking his kids deep into the backcountry again and again as they’re growing up.
- Rich & Terry Fairbanks on Rural communities in the West need a fair shake
- on Jim Deacon, pioneering desert fish biologist, dies
- Larry Bullock on Ranch Diaries: A New Mexico cattle company is born
- Randy Piper on Bark beetle kill leads to more severe fires, right? Well, maybe
- Delaine Spilsbury on The water czar who reshaped Colorado River politics