The controversial expansion of the Santa Fe Ski Area into a mountain basin called the Tesuque hits a legal snag when regional forester Charles Cartwright orders the original approval ruling to be reconsidered.
Record numbers of winter visitors to Yellowstone create controversy about how to manage visitor- and snowmobile-caused problems.
Yellowstone National Park Supervisor Michael V. Finley stirs controversy and conflict as he fights to save America's oldest national park.
The Park Service sues Garfield County, Utah, after a road crew repairing the Burr Trail bulldozes a hillside inside the boundaries at Capitol Reef National Park.
Winter tourists on snowmobiles are giving Yellowstone National Park the worst air pollution in the country.
Local Native Americans, Hispanics and Anglos share outrage at the Forest Service's approval of the Santa Fe Ski Area's Big Tesuque expansion.
Eagle, Colo., residents wage a 13-year war against developer Fred Kummer's plans to build a mega-ski resort called Adam's Rib.
Floatboaters object to Republican Sen. Larry Craig's bill allowing powerboats unlimited access to Hells Canyon.
- Jim Scarborough on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- on Feds opt not to list Mono Basin sage grouse
- Chase Gunnell on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- Arnold Weissberg on Ranch Diaries: Building community in the middle of nowhere
- Steve Snyder on Only 40 years ago, the Earth got its day