The Forest Service restricts some of the access off-road vehicles have to Idaho's Targhee National Forest.
A long, hot hike into - and back out of - the Grand Canyon takes the writer into the heart of a park that is beautiful, much visited, and still very dangerous.
The Park Service plans to restrict cars in Grand Canyon, Zion and Yosemite national parks, replacing them with light rail and buses.
Conservationists are unhappy about development company Jeld Wen Inc.'s proposal to build an "ecologically sensitive" ski resort at Pelican Butte in Oregon's Cascade Mountains.
Activists seek to protect Yellowstone's bison from another slaughter by physically shepherding wandering bison back onto protected land.
We are fools to throw away, for a snowmobile's adrenaline rush, the chance to really get close to nature, the writer believes.
Some say the Park Service is overreacting in closing some areas of Mount Rainier National Park to visitors to protect them from possible mudslides.
- Joan E. Miller on An ardent defender of North Dakota's badlands wonders if it's time to leave
- Warren Anderson on An ardent defender of North Dakota's badlands wonders if it's time to leave
- Jim Scarborough on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- on Feds opt not to list Mono Basin sage grouse
- Chase Gunnell on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?