Book review of Dave Smith's "Backcountry Bear Basics: The Definitive Guide to Avoiding Unpleasant Encounters."
A report by the Greater Yellowstone Coordinating Committee, "Winter Visitor Use Management," discusses the threats to the park brought on by recent, greatly increased winter visitation.
The Forest Service revises its approval of a ski area expansion onto public land in Telluride, Colo.
Across the country, conservationists battle the rapidly growing use of noisy, motorized water "thrillcraft," such as jet skis and power boats.
In separate attacks by mountain lions, a boy in Colorado's Mesa Verde National Park is wounded, and another boy, in Rocky Mountain National Park, is killed.
"Consumer Reports" rates its subscribers' experiences in American national parks and finds many complaints about parking, bad roads and overcrowding.
Utah lawmakers try to push bills thgrough Congress to limit the Antiquities Act and control management of the new Grand Staircase-Escalante Nat'l Monument created with the Antiquities Act.
Vail Associates' plans for night skiing on Colorado's Vail Mountain are withdrawn after locals protest.
After a 25-year battle, developer Fred Kummer gives up his plan for the Adam's Rib Ski Resort in Colorado's Eagle County.
- Traci Amborn on Fracking is the big new gun
- Deb Dedon on Should the president of the Navajo Nation speak Navajo?
- Deb O'Neill on Wyoming grapples with how to fund wildlife conservation
- Bill Williams on Wyoming grapples with how to fund wildlife conservation
- Nathan Johnson on Wyoming grapples with how to fund wildlife conservation