In Wyoming, Grand Teton National Park officials and environmentalists are battling airline representatives who want to expand the runway at the Jackson Hole Airport, which is located inside the park.
Some say the "Vision 20/20 National Parks Restoration Act" would only continue the "sweetheart contracting practices" that allow concessionaires to profit without returning much money to the parks.
Environmentalists object to a Forest Service plan to build a new snowmobile bridge across Cougar Creek near the edge of Yellowstone National Park.
A draft plan for Glacier National Park would ban jet skis and air tours while protecting historic lodges and improving roads and visitor services.
Critics blast Yellowstone's draft management plan for bison, which would quarantine, vaccinate and reduce the size of the herd to deal with the threat of brucellosis.
Critics object to Park Service plans to spend user fees on a fancy new welcome center in Grand Teton National Park, rather than on improving existing facilities.
Growing Tucson suburbs invade land on the edgoe of Arizona's Saguaro National Park West, when federal funds for a promised buyout of the land fail to materialize.
Lolo National Forest wants to ban snowmobiles on 140,000 roadless acres of the Bitterroot Crest on the Idaho-Montana border.
- Alan Stevens on Private property blocks access to public lands
- Linda VanFossan on California has one year of water left: Hype or reality?
- Joseph Yannuzzi on Sportsmen’s bill aims to open inaccessible public lands
- Robert Gates on Lessons from boom and bust in New Mexico
- colt por on Is there a way through the West's bitter wild horse wars?