Book review of "The Doing of the Thing: The Brief Brilliant Whitewater Career of Buzz Holmstrom," by Vince Welch, Brad Dimock and Curt Conley, which chronicles the life of Buzz Holmstrom, who made the first solo trip through Grand Canyon in 1937.
An excerpt from the journals of Buzz Holmstrom describes the first solo river trip through the Grand Canyon in 1937.
So many people want to take a river trip through the Grand Canyon that limits set by the Park Service - which many say favor commercial outfitters over private boaters - create an administrative nightmare for the agency.
A local group called the Crystal Conservation Coalition is worried about Boyne USA's plans for a massive makeover of the Crystal Mountain Ski Resort in Washington's Cascade Mountains.
Some locals are pleased and some environmentalists displeased with the BLM's proposed management plan for Utah's new Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.
An extensive backcountry fee program for Grand Teton National Park is scaled back after local backpackers protest.
Rocky Mountain National Park officials are getting a lot of flak for permitting a crew of soil scientists to helicopter their way into a wilderness study area.
- W John Faust on Unwanted California tires end up in rivers and beaches
- Jerry Unruh on Unwanted California tires end up in rivers and beaches
- Louis F Good on Federal public land transfers get a Congressional boost
- Harvey H Reading on Federal public land transfers get a Congressional boost
- Harvey H Reading on Don't blame bark beetles for fire risk