Hunting tag auctions may get too pricey for a lot of Western hunters, but they also raise significant money for conservation projects.
The essays in Fred Haefele's slim collection Extremophilia, River Rats, Timber Tramps, Biker Trash, and Realtors are both casual and transcendent explorations of the West.
In Lake City, Colo., the state's oldest ski lift is still hauling skiers up modest slopes at even more modest prices.
Last year's deaths and changing ecological factors point to a need for a new approach to hiker safety
Cheryl Strayed's memoir Wild describes her arduous trek along the Pacific Crest Trail as she seeks to recover from life-changing grief.
The proposed Bitterroot ski resort in Montana remains unfinished, entangled in financial and environmental problems.
A new film follows African American seniors in Yosemite, raising awareness of national parks among people of color
The Idaho Panhandle National Forest is in retreat over its longstanding support for the Mallard-Larkin Wilderness
Some backcountry skiers are triggering avalanches without regard for those who might be skiing below them.
When did human beings become slaves to their dogs, required to take them everywhere, even cross-country skiing?
The retired Park Service superintendent stands by her controversial decision not to allow a major bike race in the monument, and continues to be passionate about preserving landscapes.
- The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Latest: California fracking companies inject protected aquifers with wastewater
- Obama's preemptive strike to reform Endangered Species Act
- Wyoming trespass law is the latest in grazing battle
- Sightseeing at an open pit mine in Arizona copper country
- Garrett Allen on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Robb Cadwell on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Amy & Chris Gulick on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Richard H Ernst on The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Luwella Leonardi on Blood Quantum