The author may have been the last person to hear the voice of a missing hiker at Mesa Verde National Park
Western kids have fun -- and die -- motoring off-road, thanks to loose ATV regulations, a libertarian spirit and fun-loving parents.
With demographic shifts, trendy activities like wildlife viewing and kayaking are increasing faster than traditional activities like hunting and backpacking.
Editor’s note for HCN’s second annual special issue on travel in the West describes some quirky personal trips.
A father understands what’s gained by taking his kids deep into the backcountry again and again as they’re growing up.
KDNK's Nelson Harvey talks with Craig Childs about his story "Secret getaways of the National Conservation System."
- John F Mijer on Congress lets sun set on Land and Water Conservation Fund
- Gary Beverly on Does optimism have a place in Western water politics?
- John Worlock on Endurance runners in the Grand Canyon are missing the point
- Todd Vogel/Iversen on Endurance runners in the Grand Canyon are missing the point
- Daniel Metzger on Endurance runners in the Grand Canyon are missing the point