With demographic shifts, trendy activities like wildlife viewing and kayaking are increasing faster than traditional activities like hunting and backpacking.
Editor’s note for HCN’s second annual special issue on travel in the West describes some quirky personal trips.
A father understands what’s gained by taking his kids deep into the backcountry again and again as they’re growing up.
KDNK's Nelson Harvey talks with Craig Childs about his story "Secret getaways of the National Conservation System."
- Jim Scarborough on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- on Feds opt not to list Mono Basin sage grouse
- Chase Gunnell on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- Arnold Weissberg on Ranch Diaries: Building community in the middle of nowhere
- Steve Snyder on Only 40 years ago, the Earth got its day