The proposed widening and straightening of Highway 14-16-20, the link between Cody, Wyo., and Yellowstone National Park, raises tremendous controversy between tourism boosters and environmentalist critics.
Building the newest addition to Colorado's hut system for skiers and hikers meant long, cold hours of work at 11,300 feet in the Gore Range.
The FAA bans all commercial overflights of Colorado's Rocky Mountain National Park without much opposition.
Higher entrance fees at Yellowstone won't necessarily keep the park open, because the money needs to go to repair roads and buildings, park officials warn.
Environmentalists and Native Americans object to a proposed Park Service management plan that would develop bike and horse trails in New Mexico's Petroglyph National Monument.
The FAA's new rules for overflights at Grand Canyon will not ease the noise problem at all, critics say.
Musician Paul Winter decries the growth in aircraft noise in the Grand Canyon since he first recorded music in the park 30 years ago.
River guides and outfitters protest new drug-testing requirements begun in Grand Canyon National Park and soon to come to Utah's Canyonlands and Dinosaur National Monument.
- dan bosch on Suckers for gold
- Tom Darnell on Will public-lands ranchers pay more for grazing?
- Alan Stevens on Private property blocks access to public lands
- Linda VanFossan on California has one year of water left: Hype or reality?
- Joseph Yannuzzi on Sportsmen’s bill aims to open inaccessible public lands